Wednesday, September 3, 2014

021814 Chavacano Made Easy Pronouns

021814 Chavacano Made Easy 

Pronouns

 

Pronouns are shorter and quicker ways of referring to a noun. Common pronouns in English include "he," "she," "what," "that," and "yours," all of which often would be replaced by longer words or more words if we didn't have the pronouns at our disposal.

In general, pronouns in Chavacano function much as they do in English.

Subject Pronoun replaces the subject of a sentence, as:

He, she     ele  yo, iyo    They  sila   We       kita
You  uste, tú, evos   I want to go. Quiere yo anda.
I don’t want to go   No quiere yo anda

Demonstrative Pronoun  replaces a noun while also pointing to it :

This one    este           That one     ese
Those aquellos            esos    
I like this one Quiere yo este / Quiere yo con este
I like that one  Quiere yo ese / Quiere yo con ese
I like those      Quiere yo con esos

Object Pronoun functions as the object of a verb or preposition, as :

him, her           ele (no distinction in gender) 
them                conellos , canila
Reflexive Pronoun refers to the  same
   person, as:

myself         yo            I myself    yo mismo
yourself       uste   
himself, herself, themselves con ele, canila
she herself /he himself    ele mismo 
they themselves         sila mismo


From the Chavacano Handbook by Felino M Santos
For details address queries to felinomsantos@gmail.com. Or visithttp://englishchavacanodictionary.weebly.com/index.html also at http://chavacanohandbook.wordpress.com/


Load disqus comments

0 comments